Sleep is so important to “power up” for your day, to ground your emotions, for numerous health reasons, and when we are stressed sleep can become difficult. Then the difficulty can be sleeping too much, or sleeping too little.
Today’s post is going to address sleeping too little. Here are my top 10 tips for the day:
1. Set a regular bedtime: Everyone (if possible) in a household needs a regular bed time. Often times I have recommended people set an alarm clock to go to bed, as I think this is just as important as a regular time to wake up.
- Helpguide.org suggests keeping this routine on the weekends too
2. Turn off the TV, computers, laptops, and disengage from your cellphones.
- Lifehacker.com reports a recent study that found people engaging in too much screen time report lower quality sleep.
4. Reduce caffeine intake.
- Health.com recommends not drinking caffeine after 2pm.
5. Nap for 30 minutes or less.
- Dr. Frank Lipman: he suggests not napping more than once a day and often right after lunch is a good time for a power nap.
6. Keep your bedroom dark: light interferes with the production of melatonin which is good for helping you reach a sleepy state.
7. Relax! This helps your body release tension and often stretching during this time helps too.
- Mediflow.com suggests relaxing one hour before bedtime.
8. Stop eating 2 hours bedtime.
- TipTopTens.com suggests eating before you sleep keeps you from sleeping as deep.
9. Yes, you can stress about sleep. Try not to stress out about falling asleep. Are you wearing your favorite sleepwear? Do you have your favorite blanket or pillow?
10. Record what works! Keep a sleep journal and look and see what’s working the best.